Wednesday, November 9, 2011

1) I felt like a hippy for the first time the other day. I have this great new necklace that I have been wearing.  the conversation went a little like this.
"that's a nice necklace"
"O thanks, I love it"
"its really unique"
Yeah.. its real flowers pressed on to moose antler"
that got raised eyebrow and a really careful "ahh that is....ah.. interesting.. where did you get it"
"Saltspring Island"
"ah.. now I understand".

2) For all of you who are rather depressed that fall drinks are done at Starbucks, rest easy and I will  introduce you to a pumpkin spice latte on crack.  For those moments when you want to recapture the spicy fall feeling without the yucky orangeness. I have been introduced and fallen in love with the Dirty Chai. I, however, do not have the courage to order it as that, Instead you can use the very long and princessy sounding " Grande, extra hot, chai latte with a shot of espresso!!!

3) I was feeling rather disengaged from the local political scene so I went to an all candidates meeting.  I think next time I'll be okay with being disengaged.
4) Trauma Quotes. Early morning trauma is not as exciting as on TV, especially when both of the trauma nurses were fast asleep, finely on their breaks at 530 in the morning. 
PCC- psst girls, wake up, stabbing 5 mins out
"really... who get stabbed at this time of night"
I go out, Kat heads to the washroom really quick.  I stumble out to the department. I wake up quickly once I realize the five mins was more like two and they are rolling through the door. I do my ABC assessment and start to relay info to Kat as she comes in to chart. 
" It happened at quarter to 6"
"mel.. its 530"
"oh sorry...... it happened at 545"
"Mel.. its 530".. I stare at the clock as if willing the minute hand to reverse, my mind scrambling,
"whatever.. 45 mins ago"

I will treat everyone the same but ones empathy does start to decrees with comments like this made to the cop.
" I'm not sure what happened, last time I got stabbed it was my fault.. but this.. I don't know why I've totally turned my life around, I promise.. I wouldn't hurt anyone unless I had too".   They do, however,  lead to interesting wound descriptions..
Me " okay.. so we have a 1 1/2 inch puncture wound to the right lateral chest, 4/5 intercostal space, one inch below alleged previous stab and 2 inches posterior to an apparent chest tube scar".

5) Hope fills the afflicted soul with such inward joy and consolation, that it can laugh while tears are in the eye, sigh and sing all in a breath; it is called "the rejoicing of hope" (Hebrews 3:6).

William Gurnall

No comments:

Post a Comment