Thursday, April 14, 2016

Welcome to Addis

Wednesday April 13 19:29 -upload Thursday am 
Welcome to Ethiopia. I have arrived. Flight landed this morning. Headed to the house and pretty much showered and crashed.  Spent the afternoon unpacking and getting organized.  The house we are staying at is tucked off the main road in a little residential area. The noise of the road is muffled and the front of the house is a little community garden so out my window is just some trees which is very nice oasis cacophony of sounds and people that is developing country capital.  No wifi at the home and I still have to get my 3G cellphone but around the corner is a hotel with a little cafe and not to bad of internet so will work for now.  I am excited to explore this side of town.  Where we stayed last time is on the opposite side of the city so this will be a new adventure to find the little coffee shops, fruit stands and road side vendors to get basics  from.  In typical Ethiopian fashion the power struggled to stay on this evening- I feel like I am going to need to stash flashlights around the house.  

It is good to be here. The lead up to coming has been good- gone so well - have been so thankful for the help and support but was so busy - when I was reading about Paul and other in the Bible who were leaving on trips and it simply says "and they went down to the ship" - they didn't have to cancel all their utilities , change insurances, quit jobs, unlock SIM cards and do all the modern day tasks that just take up so much energy and brain space. I was also a little jealous of how they would travel to their destination(minus the time Paul got shipwrecked).  Having taken extended journeys by ship I so recognize the value of the setting for conversation , reflection and mediation. The long journey here has provided some time for that - a time of being still and refocusing, as well as I welcome the routine that I sure will develop as I start to settle in here.  Was reading tonight from Psalms- I am thinking Psalm 91 might become a frequent read- just so full of promises in a time that is going to be so full of unknowns. 
ps on a side note it is just the beginning of rainy season here. It was overcast and gray most of the day about 18degrees but wow the rain and thunderstorms that started in the evening. Wow -so thankful for the roof over my head and feeling a bit sad that so many people will struggle to stay dry tonight
Will get the camera  out soon and post some pics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment