Tuesday, March 9, 2010


That my friends, is my name on the assigment sheet for the first time!!!!

I am finished my new grad mentorship hours and am now baseline staff. The shift before this I was kind of on my own too because we were short but it was in an area where you work with 2 other RNS so it wasn't quiteby myself.. But this FIRST day was truely on my own, with an LPN in the Medical decision unit of the ER. Was a fairly reasonable day patient flow wise.. not to much movement upstairs.. but definatly some interesting stuff.. like who knew it could take >1/2 hour to unblock a NG tube?? (defiantly somehow missed that happening the last four years), that that patient with non-cardiac diagnosis could have a trop of 2.12 ( for non medical persons.. that is 500x the normal level.. oh and when its elevated it means you have heart muscle dying.. aka heart attack), and.. .various other ++interesting scenarios.. but it was a good day.
Then I worked my first weekend of nights int he ER.. CRAZINESS.. but it wasn't just me.. I thought perhaps that was how all weekends were until the nurse who had been working for 25 years said that was the worst night ever.. but do you what.. I love it. Such a challenge, hard work.. and forget about sleep breaks but so fantastic at the same time!!!!
**Confidentilailty point.. Patient examples do not reflect the age, gender, date, or possibly diagnosis, hospital location is never even certain as per BCIT I will do rotations at various hospitals.

1 comment:

  1. hey mel!
    i remember the first time my name was on the assignment board too... exciting and scary at the same time! congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete