Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Experiances

Well I have officially finished my second week of work in the ARH ER and am so glad I chose to continue working there. It is alot different than what I had been doing for the past four months, which was working with an LPN caring for, planning and coordinating care for team of 7 post surgical patients. I have worked most of the days in Fast Track which is an area for fairly minor patients ie broken bones, fingers cut with saws etc ( it really amazes me how many guys mistake their fingers for wood!!!) it is a nice area to work, but can get fairly busy but is kinda a fun busy.. starting IV's for antibiotics, cleaning up nasty cuts, and conscious sedation's. That is something that is a weird feeling. I push about 1 1/2 teaspoons of milky looking stuff through an IV and the patient goes from talking to me to snoring in about 5-10seconds and then 10minutes later is wide awake with a cast on their arm or whatever the doc did. Also worked a day in RAZ- rapid assessment zone which is basically where anyone else who needs more interventions but not a cardiac monitor comes. This is basically organized choas as three nurses manage the rapid cycle of patients coming in with mostly abdo pain but also other issues. Fun but defiantly an area were you need to consciously stop and mentally organize everyone on fairly frequent basis. And then you get the things that you thought you would only see on TV. Very sad because it was a young life snuffed out in a very tragic way but also very interesting. today I saw a HEART. We had a patient come in with massive trauma to their chest and in effort to relieve pressure caused by bleeding around the heart they had to cut in. All of which happened while I was on coffee.. it is amazing what can happen in fifteen minutes. Overall though i am enjoying work immensely and it is very nice to be doing something I enjoy so much.

Days of Grace 2:365
1) No rain on any of my commutes this week
2)Sylvia, my awsome mentor
3)Peppermint Tea
4)Weekends off

No comments:

Post a Comment