Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Kwadacha

So after my last post I got on a little airplane and headed north.   My original destination was Fort Ware or Kwadacha (the names are used interchangeably) Fort Ware being the name of the town and Kwadacha being the name of the band who lives here.   Unfortunately some people had ignored the large sign at the airport and had been doing donuts on the runway so the plane could not land.  It instead dropped me off in Tsay Keh a town 70km south of Fort Ware. 
The Fort Ware Airport signage
 
Tsay Keh is a town whose health care is also provided for by the nurses of Fort Ware... we split our week in half as well as are expected to come to either community in case of an emergency. 
 The only airport buildings in Tsay Keh lol
 

One of the contractors gave me a ride up the "Russel" logging road to Fort Ware.  Once there I settled in to my new house and got orientated to the clinic. These houses were built with the hope that nurses would move here with their families full time.. so the houses are big.  I have a three bedroom two bath house just for me. 
 Fort Ware is built right beside the river and in a valley and when the sun shines it is gorgeous.  The health center is brand new built in 2013 it is half health care and half band administration.  Here I am starting to fully understand the scope of Community Health Nursing.  The population we serve here is bigger and has higher needs.  As nurses we are the nurse, the ER, walkin clinic, family doctor, homecare nurse, ambulatory daycare, public health clinic, lab, pharmacy, dentist, and the vet.  Its daunting at times but I am also learning a lot.  So much depends on through assessment of the patient and relationships that you build. 

 A Medivac plane out of Fort Nelson to bring a patient to Prince George.  One of the challenges of this health station is its remoteness. In any kind of real emergency any air support is minimum 2 hours away and only in day light hours which is from 8-330.

 Kwadacha Life... lots of wood piles,  Bannock on Fridays mmmmm, and the wolf
 I am kinda obsessed with the ice in the river








 We spend last week Thursday and Friday and then again this week Mon-Wed in Tsay Keh.  Chris and I getting gas in our trusty truck and checking our the selection at their store... we scored with the bean and rice chips!!!!


 Weekends give the best chance for longer walks in daylight hours!! We are on call 24/7 but for this hour or two we put a note on our door. People always know where you are anyway =)





 The satellite RCMP office.. they have a detachment in TsayKeh and just come if they get a call. and the store... surprisingly good selection!!!
 
 Down by the lake in TsayKeh... very cold and windy.  When I flew in two weeks ago it was still open but now quickly freezing over. 
Home next week hopefully if the weather cooperates.  See you all then.
PS if you have been texting me.. I'm not ignoring you. There is no cell service here and internet is spotty at best.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I stumbled upon this blog post while I was doing some research for nursing in Kwadacha. I'd love to hear more about your experience nursing there--if you are able to contact me, my e-mail is stephanieclarke@live.ca

    I've really enjoyed looking through your posts, looks like you are making the most out of your career, it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete