Thursday, January 5, 2012

Change

Change: noun

*the act or fact of changing; fact of being changed.

*a transformationor modification; alteration:
*a variation or deviation: a change in the daily routine.
*the substitution of one thing for another:
*variety or novelty
(Dictionary.com)
As some of you know, and now the rest of you will too, this year is going to be an exciting year for me with a big change happening at the end of this month.  I am getting married =)
 
bahaha.. now you're paying attention.. Just kidding =)  My change is less drastic that that.  I have accepted a position with SALTS.  As of the end of January I will be moving to Victoria and working as a cook and teaching some sailing as well as connecting with and mentoring young people in the context of a tall ship and God's amazing little corner of earth around Vancouver Island. 
I had been planning to do something different this year. Take a break from ER nursing and pursue something else. I had looked into nursing in New Zealand ( I will still one day be a temporary kiwi) as well explored different mission opportunity's. But unexpectedly an position came available and throughout past experience with SALTS as well as the powerful impact the death of a young lady had on me, I felt that this was the opportunity the Lord had placed in my life for this season.  I am super excited about not only a break from my regular job and moving to Victoria but also a chance to connect and make a positive difference in a long lasting meaningful way in young lives.  The fact that I can do that in a Christ centered environment while living pretty much in the Gulf islands, on a boat and with some fabulous friends is just bonus!!
I have studied change before ... took an entire university course on it in fact (its not called a BSn for no reason). So I know transitions are not all easy and I not really looking forward to leaving my family,  all the wonderful friends I have here behind nor my church family.. so rest easy you are not rid of me for good. I hope to come home often on the weekends so will still be in touch.  And to those who knew this all was happening thankyou so much for all your kinds words of encouragement and affirmation it really has confirmed that this is God's place for me right now and in that I am finding tremendous joy. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mel! You certainly had my attention! I figured I'd missed something along the way :) what a great opportunity for you! Enjoy it, you are at a stage in your life that you can do things like this and I think they're really important! Doing God's work is so rewarding. We'll be thinking of you and missing all the wonderful ER stories!

    Love STeph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to have you join us over here on the island Mel! See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEL! I almost fell off my chair reading this post! You had me going, thinking, "Wow, a lot sure changes when one goes off on mat leave!" Heehee! I'm so happy for you in this new venture of yours. Love the quote by James Orbinski in your next post, too. Have you been reading "An Imperfect Offering"? A good read. He does good work.
    - Arenda

    ReplyDelete