Saturday, January 14, 2012

Six on Saturday

Im not sure how this morphed from Five on Friday into Six on Saturday.. I guess a combo of procrastination and night shift callings.. ah well.  Just one more random thought.

1)  This will never be a how-to blog... usually because by the time I think something might be useful its already complete and is not going to be redone to be staged for photos.  But as I was doing this as I was packing the other night I thought it would be a nice tip to share. 
Ten easy steps to pack to pack juice glasses.
Step 1-  Wash socks, ensure at least one pair for every glass you have to pack. Use bleach if appropriate.
Step 2- Stuff one sock into the glass.  Not entirely sure on the rational.. but when you buy breakables they always have that paper inside.
Step 3-  Pull the other sock nice and cozy around the outside of the glass ensure it comes up and covers the rim (not as illustrated).
Step 4- Pack in box. Ensure to label box as kitchen so the socks don't end up in your dresser
The next 6 steps are how I assume things will happen.. if they differ I will post an update
Step 5- Move
Step 6. Carefully remove glasses from their cozy little sleeping bags.
Step 7.  Wash and disinfect glasses.
Step 8- Refrain from serving guests from glasses for at least 5-10 washings.
Step 9- Wash socks in extra hot water to shrink back to regular size
Step 10- Wear socks and feel proud that they have more than one purpose in life.



2) Normally I find nautical clothing rather ... well lets just say I don't know the English word.  But I was in need of some PJ's for on the boat and happened upon this fabulous pair of pants with a matching teeshirt. 

3)  Allergies.  Such a buzz word and so common place.  Its something that I inquire of with every interview with a new patient.  The answers vary across a huge spectrum.  You get the people who  say yes.. and then stare blankly at you when you ask which medication, the ones that list every food and plant they sneeze at, the ones that think maybe their mom once told them they might have had a rash from penicillin when they were two,  the people who think they are allergic to things but when you dig in to the symptoms it turns out they are actually just valid side effects (yes... gravol will make you sleepy.. you're not allergic =).  Then there are the fabulous special order allergists, the ones who are allergic to specific medication they do not one to receive in hopes of getting their medication(read narcotic) of choice.   "Oh.. you have vague abdominal pain and are anaphylactic  to Tylenol, Advil, toradol and codeine?"   ... oh and hydromorphone is the only thing that works, how nice??
 But then their are the people who have real, serious allergies.  I walked into work the other day and a situation unraveled right in front of my eyes.  The patient was rapidly wheeled into the trauma room and I came to terms that I would be starting then... rather than in 15 minutes.  More lines where started, meds were pushed.. we looked in vain at the cardiac monitor for changes.. changes there were, but not the kind we were wanting.  Instead of improving the lines of V-tach were getting longer. 
Dr- "Why don't we start some amioderone"
Me- "sure"
Pt- "Ah.. I'm allergic to that"
My standard answer." and what happens when you get that".. thinking at this point some nausea is just fine.
Pt- "Well last time I stopped breathing and was in ICU for 6 weeks"
Alright... well not a rash.  Guess we won't be giving that now will we. 

4) Lots of Emily and Branson time this week.  Jealously guarding my time spent with my sister and her family this month.  Snapped these with my phone tonight as we were playing games. 


5) Our new lease agreement stipulates no pets, water beds, fish tanks or bbqs.  really no bbqs.. not that we have one but seems kinda like a weird thing to ban when you see them all the time on apartment balconies.  On second thought might not be entirely bad.. I have singe(ed) my eyebrows once.. and I am friends with this pyro.
 

6) Gratitude unleashes the freedom to live content in the moment, rather than being anxious about the future or regretting the past.
 Ellen Vaughn

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I recognize that last house with the pyro at work!! :) Love the multi-use socks, btw, and those pants are perfect! Enjoy the snow, L

    ReplyDelete