Saturday, January 28, 2012

Six on Saturday

1) In this day and age one would think that alarm clocks would be smarter. Perhaps it has something to do with fact that mine is probably cira 1990 or that fact that I think in 24hour clock but really this week it had it out for me.   Tuesday-  Why should I have to pick am/pm... shouldn't it just know that I don't want to sleep for 21 hours and just default to the most appropriate setting.   Wednesday... Shouldn't it turn on now that I have adjusted for the appropriate am/pm?  It did however provide for an extra 1 1/2 hour sleep the first day (and a late start to work) and thankfulness for setting a phone alarm on Wednesday. 

2)I worked my last shifts at work this week.  Next scheduled shift Dec 4th!!!  I seemed to have picked a good time to escape from the craziness. This week it reached new levels.   We ended one night with a total of 42 admitted medical patients in the ER. The number of pts in our department usually fluctuates between 45-95 but to have that many admits is just crazy!!  That is completely filling all of our beds and hallway spots.. leaving only the trauma rooms and a few chairs to see anyone else who comes through the door. And one day later when I left there was only chairs!!!  We also had disaster colours assigned to every patient.  This is a quick visual on our patient tracking system which lets us know at a glance how priority/sick/mobile people are.  This is usually something we only do during airshow weekend when the chances of a mass disaster happening is a possibility.  The fact that it is now standard just shows how stretched the resources and space are throughout the entire hospital.  No one seems to have answers how to fix the system or solve the issue but the stresses it places on the patients and the nurses is huge as you struggle with increase of workload and acuity with less space, resources, and time. 

3) I told my Call of Duty obsessed brother that perhaps he should just join the army so he could do the part in real life.
  "Are you for real... I'm too bad at this... I die all the time"

4) Had a lovely dinner and time at my friend K.'s house tonight. K. and I have been friends since she mentored me during my start in ER .  This is the lovely "goodbye" fudge that her kids had made for us.

5) Pray for my friend's little boy. So sick right now in BC children's hospital. 
6) Psalm 16:11 
You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment